Sunday, November 25, 2007

The 12 Basic Ad Formats




I’ve got some juicy projects I’m working on, and I want to give them my full, focused attention. So I’m going to make this short and sweet. And perhaps even more fun than educational.

Welcome to this edition of Not Your Usual Marketing Tips from JDK Marketing Communications Management.

Thanks to graphic designer and colleague Tim Faragher for bringing this fascinating subject to my attention…

We all watch commercials. Did you know, according to author Seth Stevenson on Slate.com, that there are but 12 basic ad formats?

There’s:

1. The Demo
2. Show the Problem
3. Symbolize the Problem
4. Symbolize the Benefit
5. The Comparison
6. The Exemplary Story
7. The Benefit Causes Story
8. The Testimonial
9. Ongoing Characters and Celebrities
10. Associated User Imagery
11. Unique Personality Property
12. The Parody, or Borrowed Format

Check out this entertaining video to see what he means. Chances are you’ll be nodding along knowingly as you watch.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid988327350?bclid=1037705321&bctid=1119288350


Joel Kweskin

No comments: